How do I know if I should use paper review?
If you are unsure of what type of academic help you should use, you will find the Which Academic Support Should You Use? decision tree especially useful.
To ensure you use the best writing support for your needs, you can also review the following information on what each support can provide:
- Answers questions about Canvas or the course
- Answers questions about the assignment or rubric
- Provides guidance of what learning supports you may benefit from
- Self-help writing and APA guides, samples, and templates for you to follow
- Writing Refreshers to help you improve your writing
- Immediate check of grammar and punctuation
- Does not review APA
- Does not review content
- General writing feedback to help you revise and improve your writing
- Not a proofreading, editing, or APA service
- Does not review the content of the paper or check for plagiarism
Live Writing Tutoring
- Get specific writing question answered
- Provides tips to improve your writing skills
- Cannot edit your writing or write any part of your assignment
When can I submit a paper for review?
You can submit a draft of your paper at any time--day, night, or weekend. The service is always open and papers are returned within 12 hours.
What can I submit for review?
You can submit any paper written for a UAGC course. This includes discussion posts and PowerPoints.
If you are a doctoral student, you can also submit your Letter of Intent (LOI) and your Dissertation/ADP, but please submit a single chapter at a time. Keep in mind that the tutor will provide general writing feedback rather than a review of the content.
How do I submit and retrieve my paper?
To submit a paper, follow these steps:
- Login into your classroom and click on the "Writing Center" link within the left navigation. Then click on the blue "Submit a Paper" button.
- Click on the “Tutoring” button on the screen that opens.
- This will open a screen to the Drop-Off Paper Review service where you will then follow the instructions on the screen to fill out a paper submission form.
You will then upload your paper to submit. Only .docx (Microsoft Word) files can be submitted. You can convert a PowerPoint presentation or any other type of document to a .docx file using a free online document converter site. If you have a Google Doc, click on the Want to submit a Google Doc instead? link to learn how to convert it to a Word document to upload.
Be sure you have uploaded the correct document. If you’ve uploaded the wrong document before submitting it, click on the X to remove the uploaded document and upload the correct one. Once your paper is submitted, it cannot be cancelled.
Click on the “Submit” button at the bottom of the screen.
Having Trouble? If you are following these directions but are not able to upload your paper or you are getting an error message, review our Troubleshooting Guide under Paper Review Issues.
When your paper is ready, you will receive a Pear Deck Tutor email with a link to download your reviewed paper. Be sure to check your Spam or Junk folder. The email will contain the tutor's summary feedback/revision letter, so be sure to read this in addition to the margin comments you'll find on your paper. You will have to open your paper in Word in order to see the margin comments provided.
If you cannot locate the email with the link to your reviewed paper, follow the steps below to retrieve it right where you submitted it.
To retrieve any submitted paper, follow these steps:
- Follow the same process you went through to submit your paper above.
- When you get to the Drop Off Paper Review screen, agree to the terms to get to the submission form for submitting a paper.
- Close the paper submission form by clicking on the X in the upper right side of the screen or the Go back button to reveal your Pear Deck Tutor dashboard.
- From within the Pear Deck Tutor dashboard, open your student account area by clicking on your name to find the My tutoring history tab.
- You will find previously reviewed papers within “Writing Lab.” Be sure to view your reviewed paper in Word in order to see the margin comments.
We now have doctoral-level specific writing tutors!
How to Submit and Retrieve a Paper for a Drop-Off Writing Review
Step 1: Go into the Research Resource Center and click on the Tutoring on Demand link.
Step 2: Click on Writing Review within the Drop Off Your Work tab at the top of the page.
Fill out the submission form, choose the file you would like to upload, and click Submit at the bottom of the page.
Step 3: Retrieving Your Reviewed Paper
Once your paper has been reviewed, you will get an email to let you know. This will be sent to the email connected with your Canvas profile. To retrieve your paper:
1. Go back into Tutoring on Demand.
2. Click on My Account and select Completed Sessions.
3. Locate your writing review and open the Essay Feedback for wholistic feedback on your paper and Reviewed Document for additional specific feedback.
How do I find and use the feedback provided?
Getting feedback is an important part of the writing process, but getting feedback cannot help if you do not apply it. When your paper is ready, you will receive an email from the tutoring partner with a link to download your reviewed paper. Be sure to check your Spam or Junk folder. The email will contain the tutor's summary feedback/revision letter, so be sure to read this in addition to the margin comments you'll find on your paper. You will have to open your paper in Word in order to see the margin comments provided.
To learn how to use feedback provided, review our page on Applying Feedback.
Having an issue with using paper review?
Visit our FAQ/Troubleshooting page for answers to your questions.