If you need immediate help or have a pressing question, the Writing Center offers free 24/7 live writing tutoring to all students in every course. No appointment is necessary. Tutors can answer questions related to brainstorming, understanding your assignment, organizing an essay, developing paragraphs, APA formatting, and many other writing-related topics.
Things to keep in mind about tutoring:
- If you have questions about the assignment or course concepts, you'll need to work with your instructor rather than a writing tutor.
- Come prepared to your tutoring session with 1-2 questions only. Learning is incremental, so keep your session under 30 minutes and focused on just a couple of items. This is the most effective way to learn and improve.
- Your writing tutor cannot edit your writing for you--instead, they will answer questions you have or offer instruction on how you can improve your writing.
To speak with a tutor follow these step-by-step directions:
Accessing 24/7 Live Writing Tutoring:
- Click on the “Writing Center & Library” link within your course.
- Click on the “Chat Now” button.
- Click on the "Tutoring" button on the screen that opens.
- This will open a screen to the Live Writing Tutoring service.
- You will be asked to state the writing question you have before connecting to a live tutor. You can also upload a document if you'd like, but this is optional.
- Click the "Submit" button to connect with a live writing tutor.
Accessing Past Live Writing Tutoring Sessions:
- Follow the same process you went through to access the live writing tutoring service above.
- When you get to the “describe your writing problem” screen, close this screen by clicking the X in the upper left corner to reveal your TutorMe dashboard.
- From the TutorMe dashboard, open your student account area to find the “Past Lessons” tab.
- You will find previous live writing tutoring sessions within “Live Lessons.”