When to Use a Writing Tutor
To ensure you use the best writing support for your needs, consult the following table:
|Course Instructor||Writing Guides||Grammarly||Paper Review||Live Writing Tutoring|
|Answers questions about Canvas or the course||Self-help writing guides and samples||Immediate check of grammar and punctuation||General writing feedback to help you revise and improve your writing||Get specific writing questions answered|
|Answers questions about the assignment or rubric||APA guides, samples, and templates||Does not review APA||Not a proofreading or APA service||Provides tips to improve your writing skills|
|Guidance on what learning supports you need||Writing Refreshers||Does not review content||Does not review the content of the paper or check for plagiarism||Cannot edit your writing or write any part of your assignment|
If you’ve reviewed the writing and APA guides and still have a question, a writing expert is available to help anytime—24/7/365. Get writing help through chat, an interactive whiteboard, or audio.
Maintaining academic integrity while using tutoring:
- Do not take your assignment to the session to complete there
- Do not ask a tutor to edit or complete any part of your assignment
- Do not ask a tutor to provide you with research sources for your paper
Having an effective tutoring session:
- Prepare by creating specific questions for your tutor
- Work on only 1 or 2 questions or concepts during a single session
- Limit your session to 30 min. and then work on your own
- Take notes during the session so you can work on your own after the session
Accessing 24/7 Live Writing Tutoring:
- Click on the “Writing Center & Library” link within your course.
- Click on the “Chat Now” button.
- Click on the "Tutoring" button on the screen that opens.
- This will open a screen to the Live Writing Tutoring service.
- You will be asked to state the writing question you have before connecting to a live tutor. You can also upload a document if you'd like, but this is optional.
- Click the "Submit" button to connect with a live writing tutor.
Accessing Past Live Writing Tutoring Sessions:
- Follow the same process you went through to access the live writing tutoring service above.
- When you get to the “describe your writing problem” screen, close this screen by clicking the X in the upper left corner to reveal your TutorMe dashboard.
- From the TutorMe dashboard, open your student account area to find the “Past Lessons” tab.
- You will find previous live writing tutoring sessions within “Live Lessons.”